The 5th and 6th graders will be embarking on the 2019 New Year Recalibrate journey with the entire Newport Mesa Church family by taking the 21 Day Prayer Dare. During the four Sundays starting January 6 and ending January 27, the 56ers will learn about prayer and fasting as Jesus taught it. Jesus invited his disciples to “watch” as he prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, then to “pray” as he prayed. What he was teaching in the most desperate time of his human existence will be what the 56ers are going to be learning. They will learn:
- How to pray, as Jesus did, “take this cup (burden)” from me I cannot bear it.
- How to pray, as Jesus did, “not my will but yours (God).”
- What is fasting and how does it help me in prayer and my relationship with God?
- What are my problems with prayer and how do I pray through my doubts and problems?
Jesus prayed both Take this Cup: Honest and Not my Will: Abandon. What happens when we pray through this tug-of-war of our own souls as Jesus did – honestly and with abandon and surrender to God.
We will consider Jesus’ Garden prayer in Matthew 26:36-46, Mark 14:32-42, Luke 22:39-46 and John 18:11.
Activities for this series will be:
- Prayer Dare Contest
- Prayer Dare Games
For More Information:
- Curriculum based on Elisa Morgan’s book The Prayer Coin. Be sure to watch her 25-minute video.
- Discover the Word, a 15-minute podcast featured Elisa’s concepts for 10 sessions. A must listen that will surely help you recalibrate for the New Year as you learn to pray both sides of the prayer coin: Honestly and with Abandon, as Jesus did.